Thursday, May 5, 2011

Theme of the Day - Gratitude

I am thankful for so many things in my life.  Sometimes, though, I lose sight of all of the wonderful gifts I've been given in the treadmill of everyday life.  Which is funny, because I never fail to notice things that I would like to change!  So today I'm going to break that pattern and acknowledge the great things in my life.

Things that I am so incredibly thankful for (in no particular order):
- The fact that I have never experienced true hunger.  I have no idea what it feels like to go to bed hungry, or to not know when my next meal will be, or to wonder how I am going to feed my family.  Too many people all over the world know these feelings far too well.
- The fact that, in Canada recently, we have had too many elections.  Annoying, expensive, yes - but the right to vote is something I take so for granted.  But this right is something that so many people have fought and died for and continue to fight and die for.  We truly are privileged to live in a democratic society, which recognizes the right of all people (women, men, blacks, whites, Christians, Muslims, etc) to have an equal say.
- My awesome hubby.  I could go on forever, but in short, I am so blessed to be married to my best friend - the person who makes me laugh, who I can't wait to see at the end of the day, and who I want to share everything with.  Also, he has a nice butt :)
- My great family.  My loving, supportive, selfless parents, my beautiful, smart, funny sister, her quirky, funny boyfriend; my wonderful Grandma; my intelligent, thoughtful Uncle; my awesome Grandpa; my aunt and uncle and their daughters, and my other aunt and uncle and their sons; my wonderful parents-in-law, my two fabulous sisters-in-law, and my brother-in-law, his girlfriend, and their baby (our adorable little nephew!)
- Universal healthcare in Canada.  I know this is a touchy subject, and I am certainly not blind to the problems with Medicare; however, I am so thankful that no one in this country is denied access to medical care because they cannot pay for it.  In my own personal experience, I would be bankrupt about eight times over if I had to pay for all of the medical care I've received; and since I got sick so soon after starting to work, it's entirely possible I wouldn't have had insurance either.  
- Spring.  I am so incredibly happy it is finally spring!  Never mind Christmas - spring is the most wonderful time of the year.
- Ice cream, chocolate, and red wine.
- My crazy kitties.  They make me laugh out loud at least twice a day, and nothing is more calming than holding them and listen to their contented purrs.
- Lakes, oceans, mountains, rivers
- People who are nice to strangers for no reason at all.

Ok, I could go on, but that's pretty good for one evening.  Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment